Réseau Santé offers a number of resources to health care facilities and people working in the health field to better serve their patients in French. Health care professionals can also add their name to a directory of French-speaking health care providers, take part in networking opportunities and receive information about professional development training and presentations offered by our partners. Contact us if you would like to stay up to date on Réseau Santé’s activities, projects and initiatives.
The Bonjour/Hello program is a series of tools allowing people working in the health field to let their patients/clients know that they can also serve them in French. Many tools bearing the logo, including pins, posters, window decals, desktop signs and small stickers, among others, are available free-of-charge. Contact the regional coordinator for your area to order tools or for more information.
French-English phrase book
This booklet was developed specifically for health care professionals and provides commonly used phrases in the delivery of health care services in French and English. The phrase book covers a number of areas of health care provision, including general evaluations, procedures, daily care, paediatrics and ambulance care, among others. Contact us to order a free copy or download an electronic version of the phrase book (PDF).
Directory of French-speaking health care providers
Réseau Santé will soon be launching a new online directory of French-speaking health care professionals for members of the Acadian and francophone community. If you are health care professional or provider in Nova Scotia and you would like to add your name to the directory or update your contact details, please get in touch with Réseau Santé at 902-222-5871 or by email at email@example.com.
Health Care in French at a Glance workshop
This free interactive workshop helps inform health care professionals and managers of the importance of providing health care services in French and gives them tools to better serve patients in French. Learn more
Websites and apps for learning French online
These websites and mobiles apps will allow you to learn useful phrases and vocabulary in French for offering health care services:
• French as a Second Language (Health Sector Employees), Université Sainte-Anne
• Hello Santé
• The Medi-Lexico apps are a series of five mobile apps, available for Android and iOS devices, which provide medical terminology in French and in English in five health care fields (nursing, occupational therapy and physiotherapy, dental care, radiology and respiratory therapy).
Publications for improving French-language services
Institutions and health care facilities can refer to the following publications that touch on various aspects of health care services in French to inform their planning processes:
• Improving Access to Health Services in French for Manitoba and Prince Edward Island Seniors
• Impact of language barriers on access to healthcare for official language minority Francophones in Canada
• Framework for Recruitment & Retention of Bilingual Human Resources in the Health Sector
• A Guide for Planning and Providing Francophone Long-term Care Services
• Access to health and interpreter-companion services: The experience of sparsely populated Francophone minority communities in Canada
• The Impact of Language Barriers on Patient Safety and Quality of Care
Training and events
Health care professionals can take part in networking events hosted by Réseau Santé as well as professional development training and talks put on by our partners. Check our events page or contact us to learn more.
Stay in touch with Réseau Santé
If you work in a health-related field and would like to receive updates on Réseau Santé’s events, projects and initiatives, contact the regional coordinator responsible for the area of Nova Scotia where you live.